Home » Aconcagua 2012

Ac – back to base camp

Written By: sean on February 16, 2012 23 Comments

A snow storm and howling winds forced the group to turn back just a few hours after leaving the high camp. Sean said the weather was too volatile to continue safely to the summit.

They are all on their way down to base camp where they will spend tonight.  Most of the climbers have decided to descend all the way down to the park gate tomorrow.  The others will decide at base camp tomorrow whether they will give the summit another push over the weekend.

Digg this!Add to del.icio.us!Stumble this!Add to Techorati!Share on Facebook!Seed Newsvine!Reddit!

23 Responses to “Ac – back to base camp”

  1. marie dahms to bernhard van zyl and groupl says on: 16 February 2012 at 9:55 pm

    whow bad weather …………give the summit a go on the weekend push over gooooood luck to every one,,,,,, baie baie sterkte en warm groete en gebede vir jul vasbyt aan almal

  2. Lloyd and Hilary says on: 16 February 2012 at 10:31 pm

    Hi Dirk and Lynn-Ann
    We hope the weather is kind to you and that you can have another go at summittimg.
    All the best from the gang in SA.

  3. Alex says on: 16 February 2012 at 10:41 pm

    Hey Sugs, you can’t control the weather. We’d rather have you back in one piece. So excited to meet you and Roy at the airport on Monday. Karen will let me know if anything changes. Love you.. Alex

  4. Veeran says on: 17 February 2012 at 5:54 am

    That’s terrible news, hope the team can make it on the second attempt.

  5. Rose says on: 17 February 2012 at 7:22 am

    Remember always…Summits are for the ego, mountaineering for the soul! Well done to all & should there be some of you looking to give the summit another go – best of luck to you!!

  6. Hermann & Anny says on: 17 February 2012 at 7:34 am

    All the best for the second attempt,prayers and thoughts with you.

  7. Ingrid says on: 17 February 2012 at 7:42 am

    Bernhard and the team

    You all can be so proud of yourself. Those who are going
    for the second attempt, all the best and may the weather
    just turn out fantastic

    Bernhard love you and miss you


  8. Monica F says on: 17 February 2012 at 7:47 am

    Vir almal wat weer gaan probeer. Wees veilig en geniet dit. Ons wag in spanning om te hoor of julle sukses behaal.

  9. chants says on: 17 February 2012 at 7:52 am

    Hey team hope weather clears for another attemt to summit. Bernhard so proud of you and good luck know u will push on. Enjoy.

  10. Pieter Kwakernaak says on: 17 February 2012 at 8:03 am

    Good luck for the remaining climbers. Tell Nico we all wishes him the best of luck!!

  11. chants says on: 17 February 2012 at 8:06 am

    May the sun bring you new energy by day. May the moon softly restore you ny night. May the rain wash away your worries. And the breeze blow new strength into your being. And all the days of your life, May you walk gently through the world and know its BEAUTY.

  12. Gordon Zheung says on: 17 February 2012 at 9:00 am

    May the weather clear up and best of luck for the team.

  13. Gail says on: 17 February 2012 at 10:15 am

    Hi Roy and Team, finally able to communicate as have a computer. Sorry to hear about the bad conditions, i know you will make the right call Roy, if you come back a day or two later at this stage…..the main thing is that you do what you know is right. If you attempt the summit again, good luck and the children and I miss you. Love you lots, Gail, Tas and Liam xxx

  14. Carolyn says on: 17 February 2012 at 12:10 pm

    Ah, thats not good news! Hoping for the best for you guys. Thinking of you constantly Dirk and LA!

  15. Alana says on: 17 February 2012 at 12:18 pm

    Well done to the team for your mountainous efforts. For those who are looking to another foray on the mountain, may the sun shine and a gentle breeze blow upon your backs.

  16. Safs says on: 17 February 2012 at 1:22 pm

    My guess is that you’re headed for the summit again Moe… And weather-permitting I know you’ll do it :) Keep your head about you, but go for it! Strengte skat. Hoping for sunny, clear days for you all :)

  17. colin stier says on: 17 February 2012 at 2:45 pm

    Hi Digs and Lynnie

    Hope the weather gets better and you get another go at the summit

    The Stier’s

  18. Martin says on: 17 February 2012 at 10:48 pm

    Roy – a weather dilemma- great! it was all sounding too easy! (and if climbing was easy it wouldn’t mean so much). If you’re feeling good, consider sitting it out, trying again, but I realise there’s now deep snow to contend with. Wishing you wisdom in your judgement calls & strength at altitude. Wish I were there to share the challenge & the spindrift. Keep them extremities warm! All best buddy – Martin & the Edges

  19. marie dahms to bernhard van zyl and groupl says on: 17 February 2012 at 11:22 pm

    goodluck for the team ons wag in spanning om te cheers op die summit go go go

  20. Hannes Steyn says on: 18 February 2012 at 8:37 am

    Vasbyt julle!!! Hoop julle het die oxo en gin gepak vir ekstra ‘oxogin’ op die 2e push. Bernhard, ek hoor daar is toe ‘n yeti daar bo en dis ‘n meisie. Geniet die experience julle almal!

  21. Claudio says on: 18 February 2012 at 2:04 pm

    Ciao Andrea, spero sia fra il gruppo che tenterà di nuovo questo fine settimana! Forza vecchio leone, fagli vedere di che stoffa sei! Un abbraccio. Claudio

  22. Alex says on: 18 February 2012 at 2:58 pm

    Greg, you can be very proud of your daughter, who came third in today’s MTB race at Voortrekker Monument. It was a hard climbing ride of 55km, but she munched up those hills! There are no updates on the site, so I assume all is on track to meet you and Roy on Monday. xxx A

  23. Bradd Bendall says on: 20 February 2012 at 10:54 am

    Hi Roy, hope you are safe and warm. Good luck if you attempt to summit again. Cheers, Bradd

  Copyright ©2009 Sean Wisedale, All rights reserved.| Powered by WordPress| Simple Indy theme by India Fascinates